Just because you’re vegetarian or vegan doesn’t mean you can’t have a great Thanksgiving dinner. Ellen’s personal chef, Roberto Martin, has some great Thanksgiving recipes that are easy to make, healthy to eat and absolutely delicious. Below, we feature Chef Roberto’s Vegan Roast Thanksgiving Recipe. Enjoy!
Vegan Roast (no Turkey)
from Chef, Roberto Martin
- 4 Cups vital wheat gluten
- 1 Cup bread crumbs
- 1 Cup nutritional yeast
- 3 Tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 large onion small dice and caramelized
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Cups strong No Chicken, chicken stock
- 1 full sheet of cheesecloth
- Butcher’s twine
- Paul Prudhomme’s Blackened Steak Magic spices (available in any grocery store)
- Earth Balance butter
- Caramelize the onions over medium heat until they are golden brown. Add the onions to the dry ingredients and mix.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until a loose batter forms. Shape the batter into a loaf.
- Unroll about 24″ of cheesecloth on to a clean dry surface. Unfold the cloth completely and then fold it in half to form a two-ply piece of cloth.
- Place the loaf in the middle of cloth and roll it up, leaving enough space to tie off at both ends.
- Now tie two more pieces of twine over the center of the roast.
- Place the roast into a large pot of boiling water and simmer for at least two hours.
- Carefully remove the cheesecloth and place the roast on a small sheet tray and rub the roast with Earth Balance butter and sprinkle with blackening spices. Bake roast at 350 for 20+ minutes or until golden brown. Allow roast to rest a few minutes before slicing.
Amazon Auto Links: the template could not be found. Try reselecting the template in the unit option page.