Vegetable soup is loaded in nutrients, and is quick and easy to make; and is a winner year round.
Here’s a simple recipe from ‘The Frugal Chef’. Watch this step-by-step video to prepare a very delicious and healthy meal. Add your own favorite vegetables and herbs to taste. To prepare as completely vegetarian or vegan use vegetable stock or water, rather than chicken stock.
Also see the Frugal Chef’s recipe ingredients and cooking method below:
- 1 medium white onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
- 1 ½ tablespoons of white rice
- 6 cups water, vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- Salt & Pepper
- Dried herbs of choice (oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme)-optional
- Heat a pan with some olive oil. Add all of the above ingredients and sauté for a few minutes, until onion starts browning lightly.
- Add any of the following veggies: cubed butternut squash, sliced green beans, diced potatoes, sliced cabbage, sliced carrots, peas, corn, sliced okra, diced bell peppers, cauliflower florets, broccoli florets or any other vegetable you desire. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add rice and liquid. Season with salt and pepper. Add your herbs of choice, if any.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes until veggies and rice are cooked through.
- Ladle into bowls. Garnish with finely chopped parsley.
Also see our Online Store for great Vegetarian Books, DVDs and Cooking Supplies: VegetarianTimes.net Online Store
Amazon Auto Links: the template could not be found. Try reselecting the template in the unit option page.